-1.5 lbs of Salmon, fresh fillets
-1 can of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
-1/4 cup green onion, chopped
-1/2 jalapeño, finely diced
-1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
-1 tsp sesame oil
-2 tsp garlic, minced
-salt and pepper to taste
1. Remove skin from salmon and finely chop the fillets. Don’t use a food processor because it gets too mushy.
2. In a mixing bowl add your salmon, pinto beans, and green onion. Using a potato masher, mash all of these together until they are mostly broken down. The green onion will stay the same, but mashing it releases the juices into the mix (yum!).
3. Next add your sesame oil, bread crumbs, egg, garlic, jalapeño, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
4. Lay some wax paper on a baking sheet so the patties are easily removable and can go on the grill. Form your patties (this recipe yields 4 large patties or 6 small patties).
5. Grill them on a non stick mat or oil the grill really well. Cook 3 1/2 minutes each side. If the patties are firm when you press down on them, they are done. Don’t do more than 4 minutes per side.
To build the burger I had garlic aioli, spicy cole slaw (recipe is also on my blog), and a few slices of avocado. Serve a lime wedge on the side and squeeze a little over each bite. Enjoy!